Monday, April 27, 2009

WINE, Beer, BBQ, Bikes

Hokayso, once you do the Real Ale Ride, the next weekend (June 6th) you gotta get back on your horse and do the Atlas Ride with the Texas 4000 riders.

The Atlas ride goes from Cedar Park to Lampasas, and you can do either the 50 or 70 mi ride, both end at the same place: Texas Legato Winery & Vineyard for wine tasting, bbq, live music and beer! 

Training for these two rides...

I went out to the Veloway yesterday with my buddy Max and we did 6 laps in preparation for this ride. He took his nice Giant road bike, and I took out my Rensho with 50/16 gearing and did 18.6 mi in about 45 minutes. It was cloudy, but cool and slightly breezy, actually very nice riding weather. If you've never been out to the Veloway, I highly recommend it. Riding was really nice, there were a few families out and some leisure riders, but Max and I were the only ones tearing ass out there so we pretty much had free reign to take the corners hard and hold nothing back.

Who is going to both of these rides on track bikes with me??? Chris, let's do both!!!

Also, if you are an avid rider who has completed lengthy rides before (as I have not yet done a ride longer than 20-30 miles), if you have any gearing suggestions for making the trip with good energy efficiency, I'd love to hear them.


TTFN

2 comments:

Rob said...

I've done several long rides around here with 46-16 and 46-15 gearing. It's not much different than your 50-16. Those are just what I had, no special calculations to get to those ratios. Just chance and they worked fine. It's nice to go faster, but hills can be tough.

ALKOLITE said...

I like 46/16 w/ 165 cranks. My preferred cadence is about 100rpm, which is fast but not ridiculous. If you have more powerful legs and spin slower that might not be ideal though, unless the route is pretty hilly.

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter