Tuesday, March 3, 2009

another local blog + an earful

thy neighbors bike!

i have seen this guy, or more specifically his bike at a few different events, including love stinks and last month's relay races, but i just stumbled upon his blog;

great content, great layout, some cool local stuff about austin bike messengers from a few years back. he's got local stuff, polo, product reviews, lots of good stuff. dude obviously has enough time to sit and research on his computer, which is the main issue with three student/service industry guys like the moderators here at ATXfixed. i was honestly about to ask him to start posting some stuff for us when he has the time, and then i read his article about dallas' new helmet laws, here.




he compares helmets to herpes, mispells 'vacuous' even though he uses the word to 'try and give the argument more credibility by sounding like we are super smart,' and and trys to discredit helmets in general. i, as well as xchrisx and ahlee, wear a helmet at least 99% of the time, and when i leave it at home i regret it almost immediately. as my friend julio, a texas 4000 veteran, said when i asked him why he wore a helmet all the time:


'have you ever seen anyone hit their head?'


i understand if you don't want to wear a helmet on your bike. in some cases, i don't think it's entirely necessary (like freestyle riding or going to the cornerstore,) but for everyday commuting and riding, which is about 100 miles a week for me on average, the probability of getting in an accident obviously grows every foot you ride. counter in the fact that i've raced in over 15 races in 4 different cities since last august, and i'm suprised i havent gotten my leg broken yet!

i think the main thing is that i want everyone to be safe. johnathan and andy from mash are even huge helmet advocates now.

3 comments:

Liebo said...

Hey, its daniel from thyneighborsbike. my apologies for the earful. my main guff with helmets has to do with the laws some cities have requiring people to wear them. For every study out there which praises the safety a helmet provides there's one which debases such a belief and shows how only in very limited circumstances will wearing a helmet save you from injury. if we are all responsible enough to get on our bike and go somewhere we should all be responsible enough to make the decision whether or not we want to wear a helmet. city laws requiring even adults to wear helmets just seem to be a ridiculous effort to protect us from ourselves. anyways, enough guff for now. i have some photos from the last fast friday which ive been meaning to post so keep an eye out.

dan cakes said...

cool
thanks for hitting my back.
i really enjoy your blog and i'm glad that you have the time to post your opinions, i was just offering some counterpoint.

if you ever have a rad article you want to post up here, just let me know and i'll get you signed up as a moderator!

one Les car said...

I was wearing my helmet when I got hit. I wasn't in a race when I got hit either. I was just commuting from work.

I believe in wearing helmets, I know that I would have hit my head pretty good when I got hit, there are some nice dents on the side of it from my head hitting the ground.

Overall I think we are gaining some ground with motorist and with city officials. It is a slow process, but it will be for the better in the long run. In my opinion, when someone gets their license or renews it, they should have to take a bike safety course in some way or fashion.

The best thing we can do as cyclist are to follow the rules of the road as much as possible, and to try and coexist with cars as much as possible. It can be a bitch to do this, since most motorist seem to think they own the road and think that we don't belong

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter